New York, NY
Managed a number of brand from large mega brands like Listerine to smaller e-commerce enterprises like my own dietary supplement launch, I have a wealth of experience when it comes to writing business plans, assessing market and technology potential, and developing and executing marketing strategies both for offline and on.
Over the years, I've developed a very systematic approach to strategic/marketing plan writing and market/product analysis. This process is very helpful in getting all the parties aligned and on the same page. In a nut shell, this process is laser focused on identifying and defining our target as specifically as possible, understanding what motivates them, and crafting our message so that it is unique and ownable. It includes the standard market analysis sections (competitive landscape, SWOT, etc.), which are important in execution, but it's been my experience that more business stumble due to a lack of clarity of target or message than due to a lack of market understanding.
Principle, Cairns Consulting, LLC
· Lead the evaluation and developed the go/no go recommendation for the launch of a recently acquired large Nutritional Supplement brand into the US
· Served an expert witness for a trade secret litigation between a development company and large multinational corporation in the Oral Care category.
· Led the launch execution of the US entry of an established German cough, cold, and allergy medical device.
· Developed an on-boarding and training program for a new, enterprise-wide (device, pharmaceuticals, surgery, and consumer) VP sales role, who would be the face of a large multi-national health care company.
· Developing product positioning and launch plan for an entrepreneur focusing on medical use of marijuana in animals.
· Develop several of customized marketing and sales training courses for health and service related industries.
· Help to develop the global strategy for a leading Brand in eye-care.
· Developed and led the concept development work for a potential US entry of an established herbal German cough, cold, and allergy product.
· Develop insights training for both a large Rx and a large health care device company
· Completed a strategic case study review for a potential competitive entrant for large device company
· Managed all day-to-day aspects of pediatric homeopathic brand including agency selection and briefing and new products launch
Wyeth/Pfizer Consumer Health Care Division, Madison, NJ
Group Product Director, US Respiratory · Had P&L responsibility for the struggling $300 MM US Cough, Cold, Allergy businesses.
· Uncovered new consumer positioning for Robitussin focusing on simplicity.
· Developed new creative, which scored double the norm on persuasion & recall.
Group Product Director, US Robitussin & Dimetapp
· Had P&L responsibility for the $200 MM US Adult & Children’s Cough Syrups business. Primary objective to stem 5+ years of steady declines.
· Successfully launched the first new product innovation in 5 years.
Marketing Director, Global Upper Respiratory
· Responsible for the development of the global strategy and for Wyeth’s +$400MM business
· Significantly increased pipeline value through superior positioning and claims.
· Led the evaluation and final recommendation on acquisitions/ licensing opportunities.
Johnson & Johnson/Pfizer Consumer Products Division
Product Director, Global Oral Care: Listerine, Morris Plains, NJ · Developed a pipeline of “Commercial Capable” science: Led cross functional team to develop long term development strategy, identify key technologies and claims and validate the market potential.
Team Leader, Listerine Portables, Morris Plains, NJ · P&L responsibility for $100MM portable breath freshening business. Responsible for halting the declines (-20%/yr) of the business and making the business sustainable & profitable, which was a significant challenge given our low margins.
Brand Manager/Senior Brand Manager: Listerine, Morris Plains NJ · Successfully created the strategy and led the team in executing a competitive defense plan vs. Crest - held Crest to below an 8.0 share.
· Led the development and launch of Advanced Listerine in nine months from concept to market in 1/3 of the time of the Divisional average.
· Led the development & pre-launch of Listerine Whitening concept to launch – 12mos.
Brand Manager, Nicotrol, Bridgewater, NJ · Delivered 15 months of double digit year on year increases.
· Developed the launch plan for the Rx to OTC switch of the Nicotrol Inhaler.
Brand Manager, NasalCrom, Bridgewater, NJ · Developed compelling creative building upon a unique mechanism of action and safety profile - stabilizing the business by creating a defendable niche.
Brand Manager, Pediacare, Bridgewater, NJ
· Grew the overall brand from a 7.0 to 9.6 share and regained the leadership position in Infants drops. Developed an ageing up strategy, driving the brand to over 10.0 share.
Assistant Brand Manager, GI Brands, Bridgewater, NJ
· Responsible for a set of small gastro-intestinal brands. Managed the portfolio successfully - generating 2% growth with no incremental spending.
The Procter & Gamble Company
Assistant Technical Brand Manager, Cincinnati, OH · Managed pre-launch activities for a novel, phase III drug, called Azimilide. Developed the strategic publication plan and pre-launch scientific exchange activities.
Engineer- Senior Engineer, January 1993-March 1997, Syracuse, NY
· Responsible for the development and execution of several formulations through bench-top to clinical supplies/consumer use, to scale-up & commercialization.
Technical Sales Representative, Baton Rouge, LA; Houston, TX; Chicago, IL · Responsible for three progressively larger territories covering B2B selling in the Chemical Division.
Syracuse University Masters of Business Administration, Summa Cum Laude
Carnegie Mellon University BS, Chemical; BS, Bio-Chemical Engineering, Summa Cum Laude
Key Achievements/Recognition/Awards/Specialized Skills
· 2011 Recipient of the W3 Silver Award for the Anvanca® website