It's a serious question. If you were starting today, what strategy would you take?
First, I agree with Chad in that the pure pursuit of money is unlikely to render anything significant. By using a monetary value as a primary goal, you're only diluting the real drivers of success: passion, crafting great customer experiences, building an incredible team and culture etc.
That said, making $1m isn't that hard. :) I love this thinking by Amy Hoy and that's how I would go about making $1m: http://unicornfree.com/30x500. Using that logic, this is what I'd do:
* To earn $1m in a year, I need to earn +- $80k a month.
* To earn $80k a month, I need 1600 customers paying me $50 per month.
* So what can I build that could attract 1600 people to pay me $50?
* Or, what could I build that could attract 400 people to pay me $200 per month?
This logic works on two drivers:
* Cumulative revenue and growth. So SaaS works best in this regard, as you only need to focus on having new signups that are greater than your churn.
* Building something that people are willing to (really) pay for and going for quality over quantity. If you are building something that sells for $5 pm, you'll need to sell at much higher volumes (which are tricky).
In terms of doing that, these are the areas of my business that I would prioritize:
1. Build an awesome team that do things they're passionate about.
2. Prioritize customer experiences above anything else. Do everything in your power (regardless of whether it can't scale) to add value and help your customers.
3. Build a brand and reputation that has long-lasting value.
Focus on being a person of value not a person of financial success. Financial success will come with providing exceptional value.
Go to work at an mid-stage, venture-backed startup where:
* You get lots of options ("lots" being relative to the stage of the company and the % of ownership you'd get at other companies of a similar stage and risk - "lots" can be difficult to determine ; )
* The business is executing well
* Much of the risk has been removed, but this isn't well-understood by the market in general (this is part of why you'll get "lots" of options rather than "very few" options)
* The company is running roughly at break-even, or could be if it dialed-back hiring/marketing a bit
* The company is within a few years of going public
Then, work like crazy, make the place a huge success, and ask for additional options as often as you reasonably can.
Ideally you'll end up with enough options that you'll have $1M soon after IPO.
Look for a public contract. There's where the real money is.
A fantastic business lesson that I learned early on was "If you want better answers... Ask better questions."
So in the spirit of that lesson:
If your question is a serious one and you want a serious and helpful answer the you need to be more specific.
Consider the following to develop a better question:
1. WHO will be making the money - me or you? Your initial question is about YOU. Your subsequent question asks what strategy I would take. These are 2 different questions. Pick one as the focus of your question.
2. The next question is: In what time frame? How fast do you want/need the money?
3. Is this a lump sum that comes at the end of the effort? Or is it accumulated along the way?
4. Is that million before or after taxes?
5. Is this million gross or net? In other words - how much of it do you intend to keep for yourself?
6. How much investment capital do you have to start with?
7. How much time do you have to dedicate to making your million?
8. What other resources (i.e. aside from investment capital and time) do you have at your disposal?
There are surely more ways to refine your question... My hope is that this serves as a good starting point for you.
Best of luck to you!
I love this question. I also love the fact that the question is 2 years old. I would like to know if you are a millionaire now after receiving the advice that you received.
Secondly, I love the question because I firmly believe that you will be a millionaire if you keep that goal in front of you. In fact, I would tell to you write it on a 3x5 card and read it at least 3 times a day every day.
If you truly want to be a millionaire, follow my instructions below. By the way, there are millions of ways to make a million dollars.
Always specialize and find a niche. But do not find a ditch instead of a niche. Let me explain.
You can actually find several or even 100's of niches and specialize in each. Note that this very different from trying to appeal to everybody with the same product. However, nobody on here will be able to tell you the gaps in the software development market. But, I can tell you how to find the answer to your question. You can do this through testing, pre-launching, and launching. Your potential customers will give you the answers if you follow the techniques below.
Test, test, test. You should run several split tests using different videos within the campaign and drive customers to take some concrete, measurable actions. This action can be signing up for a newsletter, buying a product, signing up for a White Paper, signing up for a free bonus, etc. But you have to key each of these along with the video to make sure that the actual video is driving the actual action.
I am sharing other information from my other posts below in hopes that this also helps you.
Boot Strapping or Million Dollar Marketing. Here is the formula.
I am adding information below that I have shared with others.
If you were looking for a doctor, you would go to a hospital. If you were fishing you might use worms even if worms disgusted you. You would not use ice cream to catch a fish even if you yourself love ice cream for obvious reasons. The fish nor the customers don’t care what you like or what you want. They only care about what they want. Customers instinctively think “What’s in it for me?” Understanding this is the key to marketing. And understanding marketing is the key to get whatever you want in life or business.
For investors, try contacting owners of existing similar companies. They have more money and experience than you. Have them sign an NDA when possible before discussing your business proposition.
So, here are several of my marketing solutions:
Here is $10,000 worth of information for free and in a nutshell. (each of these proven concepts could actually be worth millions of dollars in the right hands).
I like your idea. As a matter of fact, I will go so far as say, it is a great idea. So...don't give up. But don't keep beating your head against the wall either. You have to get over the wall.
You have to quit focusing on marketing and sales tactics and focus on a strategy. How do you to this? You have to come up with a really solid USP. Why would a customer choose you over others similar companies? Find the answer to this before you continue with your marketing strategy.
Secondly, you need an irresistible offer.
Thirdly, you need to offer an unbelievable guarantee. By doing this and following the directions below on pre-launch and launch you should be a lot closer to getting real solid customers.
I didn't actually invent the pre-launch or the launch. Concert goers are very familiar with winning concert tickets by calling into radio stations or winning VIP treatment, or back stage passes, lunch with a star, the list goes on.
Likewise, if you look at "professional wrestling" or boxing, or MMA, the whole fighting before the fight is just a pre-launch. Unfortunately, even heroin dealers use a pre-launch technique better than most business people. PT Barnum was doing this for circus goers over 100 years earlier. And I can only imagine the pre-launch of the Romans for the Gladiator Fights.
In more recent history, every type of business from Retail Stores to Real Estate companies have used multiple pre-launch techniques. Believe me; tourists are bombarded with Condo deals when they visit Disney Land.
This is similar, but different from lead generation, another power marketing concept along with backend sales techniques (I don't have the enough space to discuss these and other powerful techniques here). But I use these techniques in my own businesses including offering free information packed newsletters and encouraging my clients to move up my sales ladder because it is best for them. Most do move up the sales ladder as their ambition and drive increases. Some move all the way up from the very beginning. Both benefit from this, one just takes longer to receive the benefits. Others will never take a chance on becoming successful.
Okay, to pre-launch campaigns for SaaS platforms, a startup, or any product or service. Simply, come up with a taste of what you have, ask a serious question and answer it. At the end of the end of the first "answer and solution" set the potential client up with another problem that is very familiar to them. Convince them that you have the answer. Follow this technique several times. Most do this repetition 2 or 3 times, but a famous golfer has sent me literally dozens of how to videos in order for me to take the bait.
You might think that giving the answer to a solution makes your product less valuable and your opinion less valuable. If you think that…then you would be wrong. Heck, look at what I have given out in this answer alone. But, this is just the microscopic tip of my business and marketing knowledge. My experience is if you give you will receive. That is…if you know what to give, how much to give, and how to receive.
I am not trying to convince you to call me. Frankly, most people cannot afford to call me and I am very selective about who I accept as my clients. Besides, I am pretty busy with my own businesses and consulting with some very high paying customers. However, I would need more info from you before I could have a greater impact in helping you.
Most solutions involved this: Ask, Ask, Ask, then Ask again.
Concentrate on the 3 M's of Marketing. I have come up with 7 M’s of Marketing, but 3 will do for now. These are Market, Message, and Media. They come in that order.
Who is your target market (customer, clients, buyers, users, etc.)?
Tailor your laser focused message for this target market.
What is the best media mix to get your message to that market?
Here's what you do...first, take steps to make sure that you are actually selling something that a hungry crowd wants like a baby wants milk, then…make an offer that is so incredible that they cannot resist. Secondly, do all the work for them. Make it so easy to make the purchase now that they can do it virtually without effort. Thirdly, give them an incentive to act right now. Fourthly, offer an almost unbelievable guarantee. Fifth, offer a bonus for acting now. There are many other incredible steps in my playbook, but these steps should help the novice to the professional sell anything.
Whether you are selling B2B or B2C, you have to focus on selling to only one person. You can actually sell to one person at a time while selling to millions at a time. These are one and the same. Don't get off track. What we call digital marketing selling is just selling in print. And that has not changed since in the last couple of thousand years.
The secret to success: I have had the pleasure of knowing and working with some of the biggest names in business, celebrities, actors, entrepreneurs, business people, and companies from startup to billion dollar operations. The number one reason for their success is doing what they know and love while doing it in new, creative, and innovative ways.
Ask, Ask, Ask. Have thick skin and learn from each "mistake." In a short while, the market will tell you what you need to do and who and what you need to ask. But get started now, even if that just means asking a contact on LinkedIn.
While you are thinking, you might as well think really big and think of something at least 1% better, newer, or different. And being cheaper is not a winning strategy.
Make decisions quickly and change decisions slowly…unless you are actually going off a cliff.
Remember these two 11 letter words...persistence and consistency. They are two of the most important tools ever invented.
Even better yet, remember my 411 Rule of Achievement – It consists of (4) eleven letter words for super achievement (also an 11 letter word). Here it is, my 411 Rule of Super Achievement:
Consistency can change even the smallest
Possibility into a big time
Persistence + Consistency =
By the way, I get a lot of people asking me if I can take phone calls for free (a free sample). Sorry, I can’t. I respect Clarity.fm and what they are trying to accomplish. And I wouldn’t if I could. The information that I offer is just too valuable to give away for free. I used to give information away for free and nobody used it. I found that when I charge $3,000/hour people paid attention and actually used my unique techniques, strategies, and tactics. Without taking action on this incredible information or paying someone to take action, you will not succeed no matter how “lucky” you may be.
Treat everybody you talk to and everybody you meet (including yourself) like each is your number one million dollar customer.
Remember this for most people who really want to achieve a dream:
First: Your dreams are important and those who don’t support and believe in your dreams either don’t understand your desire and ambition or they have some other reason (many times reasons they themselves don’t understand) for not wanting you to spend the time and effort necessary to achieve your dreams.
Secondly: If you haven’t achieved your dreams and goals so far, it is not your fault. I know that this goes against what you usually hear, but it is true. Stop blaming yourself. You have a whole world of obstacles that are truly to blame. You only need to figure out how to go over, go under, go through, go around, or go with these obstacles in the direction of your dreams.
Thirdly: Fear is normal, but don’t give into it. Use it to motivate you and guide you.
Fourth: You are right; there are probably some people who don’t want you to succeed.
Fifth: Keep this in mind, there are people competing to get there first, do more, have more, invent what you are considering inventing, or simply trying to win. Believing in yourself and what you are doing is part of a powerfull strategy for winning over your competition.
I also always suggest that everybody at every stage work with a coach, mentor, or consultant. Heck, it works for Tiger Woods, every team in the NFL, the NBA, and etc. We all need guidance and support.
Best of luck,
Take massive action and never give up.
Michael Irvin, MBA, RN
PS – Many people have “Upvoted” my answers. Thanks to those who do this. I really appreciated.
Share This on Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, etc. by Clicking Share Below
Find a pain and make it go away. People will pay to have their pains removed. When this really works, get them to talk about it with others sharing the same pain.
You don't have to be the first, or the prettiest, or the cheapest to market with your idea. It just has to solve a basic pain.
To identify that pain, know who has that pain. In other words, get to know your potential customer. Where do they hang out both online and in the real world? What do they spend their discretionary time and money on? Who hangs out with them? That's how you determine how to reach them.
Fail early and fail often. Version 1.0 doesn't have to be perfect. And always keep your eyes open for the next pain coming around the bend.
Commit to a consistent savings plan in a tax deferred and tax free withdrawal vehicle. Remember time is your best strategy. The longer money remain untouched, the better the return. Forget get rich schemes that compel you to invest money for large returns.
It depends on your goals and what you are trying to accomplish. For me personally, I'd rather have a consistent stream of income that comes in every month than one big bag of gold. We hear stories of people who win the lottery all the time only to find out years down the road they are right back where they have started. When it comes to money and finance, it's not just about making money but preserving it as well. Find something you enjoy doing and eventually the money will follow.
Add MORE than a million dollars of value to everyone else.
Hi I'm Alfred Erickson,
Strategy I would use would be the same strategy
I used the first time... get it like a savage! LOL
It's one of those answers where it's simple but
1) Identify A Market That Has A "Bleeding Neck" need
(Or whatever the kids call it thee days)
2) Makes sure its a typically HIGH Volume Market
(Fitness, Weight-Loss, Make Money, Etc)
3) Make a good enough product to start.
4) Immerse Yourself and Market and Sell The Product
Then all of a sudden you have a $1M within a 6 months.
(Obviously exaggerating about the workload.)
But not the 6 months.
Find the right business partner.
You can't do it alone. Probably end up
depressed if you do.
But I Just Met You.. And This Is Crazy...
But Here's My Number.. So Call Me Maybe
The technique is very simple everyone knows how to make a pie but they need resources. Money is mathematics and knowledge is resources focus on generating materials. Money is only the final product
Thinking big is necessary but it also need courses of action for actualisation. Understand that you will not make a million dollars overnight, no one has ever done that. There are things you have to realise to accrue yourself such money you want which are viz:
• Business Idea: a thought or notion that may or may not meet an opportunity criteria.
• Business Plan: how to get results and improve your business.
• Feasibility Study: ascertain a good chance of making profit.
Since money is not made from nothing, you can choose from the suggested ideas below to make dough.
1. Engineering/ Mechanical Skills
2. Food Production, e.g, rice production, cassava flakes etc.
3. Textile production
4. Soap/Cosmetic Production
You don't need to start great to be great, but you can start small to be very great. Take one step at a time.
For more questions please call me. Thank you.
I know you questioned this 7 years ago but I just want to give you a hint.
You can become a millionaire within a month but you need knowledges.
Contact me if you interested.
The financial system is essentially concerned with borrowing and lending and has six parts or elements:
1. First: lenders (surplus economic units) and borrowers (deficit economic units), i.e. the non-financial-intermediary economic units that undertake lending and borrowing. They may also be called the ultimate lenders and borrowers (to differentiate them from the financial intermediaries who do both). Lenders try and earn the maximum on their surplus money and borrowers try and pay the minimum for money borrowed.
2. Second: financial intermediaries, which intermediate the lending and borrowing process; they interpose themselves between the ultimate lenders and borrowers and endeavour to maximise profits from the differential between what they pay for liabilities (borrowings) and earn on assets (overwhelmingly loans). In the case of the banks this is called the bank margin. Obviously, they endeavour to pay the least on deposits and earn the most on loans.
3. Third: financial instruments, which are created to satisfy the financial requirements of the various participants. These instruments may be marketable (e.g. treasury bills) or non-marketable (e.g. a utilised bank overdraft facility).
4. Fourth: the creation of money when demanded. As you know banks (collectively) have the unique ability to create their own deposits (= money) because we the public generally accept their deposits as a means of payment.
5. Fifth: financial markets, i.e. the institutional arrangements and conventions that exist for the issue and trading (dealing) of the financial instruments.
6. Sixth: price discovery, i.e. the price of shares and the price of debt (the rate of interest) are “discovered”, i.e. made and determined, in the financial markets. Prices have an allocation of funds function.
Let us look at the fourth part in a bit detail.
Money creation: When banks make new loans / provide new credit (= buy NMD, MD and shares), they create NBPS deposits (= money). The referee in this game is the central bank which controls the growth rate in money creation (= new bank deposits resulting from new bank loans) by means that differ from country to country (which are elucidated later). The principal method is the interest rate on banks’ loans (= bank assets) via the central bank’s KIR interest rate, which influences the cost of bank liabilities (i.e. via the bank margin).
Thus there is no easy way to make a million dollars without passing through the financial system’s 6 steps, but there are few points which if you do keep in mind will help you sail through these 6 steps and earn you a million dollar.
1. Stop obsessing about money: While it sounds counterintuitive, maintaining a laser-like focus on how much you make distracts you from doing the things that truly contribute to building and growing wealth. So, shift your perspective. See money not as the primary goal but as a by-product of doing the right things.
2. Start tracking how many people you help, even if in an exceedingly small way: The most successful people I know both financially and in other ways are shockingly helpful. They are incredibly good at understanding other people and helping them achieve their goals. They know their success is ultimately based on the success of the people around them.
So, they work hard to make other people successful: their employees, their customers, their vendors, and suppliers because they know, if they can do that, then their own success will surely follow. And they will have built a business--or a career they can be truly proud of.
3. Stop thinking about making a million dollars and start thinking about serving a million people: When you only have a few customers and your goal is to make a lot of money, you're incented to find ways to wring every last dollar out of those customers. But when you find a way to serve a million people, many other benefits follow. The effect of word of mouth is greatly magnified. The feedback you receive is exponentially greater and so are your opportunities to improve your products and services. You get to hire more employees and benefit from their experience, their skills, and their overall awesomeness. And in time, your business becomes something you never dreamed of--because your customers and your employees have taken you to places you could not even imagine. Serve a million people and serve them incredibly well--and the money will follow.
4. See making money to make more things: Generally speaking, there are two types of people. One makes things because they want to make money; the more things they make, the more money they make. What they make does not really matter that much to them they will make anything as long as it pays. The other wants to make money because it allows them to make more things. They want to improve their product. They want to extend their line. They want to create another book, another song, another movie. They love what they make, and they see making money to do even more of what they love. They dream of building a company that makes the best things possible...and making money is the way to fuel that dream and build that company they love. While it is certainly possible to find that one product that everyone wants and grow rich by selling that product, most successful businesses evolve and grow and, as they make money, reinvest that money in a relentless pursuit of excellence.
5. Do one thing better: Pick one thing you are already better at than most people. Just. One. Thing. Become maniacally focused at doing that one thing. Work. Train. Learn. Practice. Evaluate. Refine. Be ruthlessly self-critical, not in a masochistic way but to ensure you continue to work to improve every aspect of that one thing. Financially successful people do at least one thing better than just about everyone around them. Excellence is its own reward, but excellence also commands higher pay--and greater respect, greater feelings of self-worth, greater fulfilment, a greater sense of achievement all of which make you rich in non-monetary terms.
6. Make a list of the world’s 10 best people at that one thing: How did you pick those 10? How did you determine who was the best? How did you measure their success? Use those criteria to track your own progress towards becoming the best. If you are an author, it could be Amazon rankings. If you are a musician, it could be iTunes downloads. If you are a programmer, it could be the number of people that use your software. If you are a leader, it could be the number of people you train and develop who move on to bigger and better things. If you are an online retailer, it could be purchases per visitor, or on-time shipping, or conversion rate. Do not just admire successful people. Take a close look at what makes them successful. Then use those criteria to help create your own measures of success.
7. Consistently track your progress: We tend to become what we measure, so track your progress at least once a week against your key measures.
Maybe you will measure how many people you have helped. Maybe you will measure how many customers you have served. Maybe you will evaluate the key steps on your journey to becoming the world's best at one thing. Maybe it is a combination of those things, and more.
8. Build routines that ensure progress: Never forget that achieving a goal is based on creating routines. Say you want to write a 200-page book. That is your goal. Your system to achieve that goal could be to write four pages a day; that is your routine. Wishing and hoping will not get you to a finished manuscript but sticking faithfully to your routine ensures you reach your goal. Or say you want to land 100 new customers through inbound marketing. That is your goal; your routine is to create new content, new videos, new podcasts, new white papers, etc., on whatever schedule you set. Stick to that routine and meet your deadlines, and if your content is great, you will land those new customers. Wishing and hoping will not get you there--sticking faithfully to your routine will. Set goals, create routines that support those goals, and then ruthlessly track your progress. Fix what does not work. Improve and repeat what does work. Refine and revise and adapt and work hard every day to be better than you were yesterday. Soon you will be good. Then you will be great. And one day you will be world-class. And then, probably without even noticing, you will also be a millionaire.
Besides if you do have any questions give me a call: https://clarity.fm/joy-brotonath
You can make more than one million dollars when you discover your true inner genius. But our conditioned minds have created a false reality where we believe being rich is the answer to being happy. Making money is something that comes naturally to all of us. And it requires no use of force or willpower. It does not require you to be working on things that you do not want to do.
When you return to your natural state you will discover your inner genius. Your genius requires you to trust in yourself and trust in the unknown. It requires you to embrace the chaos of nature and follow your instinctual commands to make your dream a reality.
Our minds are extremely distracted. Programmed to seek answers outside of ourselves. Programmed to look for strategies that work for others while ignoring our own unique nature. We force ourselves, convince ourselves and judge ourselves because our own energy "doesn't make sense."
When you discover your own inner genius life becomes the ride it was meant to do. Your genius business will come to life without you forcing yourself to do anything. No willpower is required and this is the way it was always meant to be.
The answer is to learn the energy of the conditioned mind and make it not matter. Enter the state of peace, stillness and presence and get in touch with your inner genius. Make your true dream a reality and your taste for richness will be met.
In this era of Internet and mobile, you are having enough resources to become a billionaire, not only a millionaire.
I have tried all of the given options below for than a year and Earned on average of $10000 from each.
Now there are a lot of things to do internet. I don't know in which field you are interested. So I am gonna share you some couple of options you can go for.
1. Affiliate Marketing - It is the trending one. If you know how to sell a product then no one can stop you to achieve you heights. For more info, call me I will guide you!.
2. Technology Specialist - Do you know how much freelancers earn per year, it is about Millions of dollar. So if you are having a technology skill then go and register yourself you fiverr, upwork etc.
3, Drop Servicing - It is an awesome business plan which will make you a billionaire in just a month you can say. Ask me more about it on call.
4. Network Marketing - Companies like amway, Seven k and many more are paying for recommending their products. And that commission is huge.
5. Influencer - If you are having a good following on social media platform then you can register on shoutcart.com and from their you will get customers which are gonna monetise your social media channel.
Ask me on call if you are having any doubt and many more ideas on how to earn money online.
To be honest, this should should not be the drive! Honest truth! If you are driven by money, this will not go far (again honest truth). Motivation should come from innovating, and bringing ideas to the next level, and to expanding layer by layer, organically. This may sound cliche, but it is not: Once the effort, and work is put into the idea, the fruits come by itself. You will collect paychecks from left and right. People will make a line at your door. And again, this is honest truth. Have seen this first hand in Silicon Valley, and this is a perspective which comes from a guy whom has been in the game for ~10years, and whom has gone IPO with a company. Thus, my suggestion, is to be motivated by coming with the best, most reliable, functional, safe and robust idea!
by working hard and investing your money
1. To make a million dollars, you need to invest in a profitable thing( Business or something else) that you have expertise in, save income, avoid unnecessary spending that will not bring back to you a dividend.
2. Another way of making million dollars very fast is by becoming a sport Athletes( footballer, basketballer etc.) these are people who make million dollars faster.