Get specific with the "who" of your market (i.e. what kind of dentist? what is their specialty? whom do they serve? demographics and psychographics of both the dentist AND their patients?)
And specific with your offer to them. What are you selling? What are they buying? And why do they want it (according to THEM... not you)?
Get those factors right and they'll buy from you all day long.
Dentists will generally look at anything that increase the value of their time. There is a reason Invisalign has swept the globe. If you're selling something of lower value your cost-of-sale could be too high, so find somebody you can piggyback on, where your product complements what they have even if it means giving away half the revenue to them.
Firstly, be flexible on time. Make sure you work around their schedules. Lunchtime can be good for short meetings. Take time to understand then specifically and think about their key motivators. What puts more dentists in front of more patients? Everyone will be very different but maximizing billed time with patients should be a big driver for most. How does what you offer help them spend more time with patients?
I would suggest coming up with a differentiator as well in your services. Are you one of the few accredited dentists in an area who can do Invisalign? or are your dentist specially known or did they study somewhere special that may be a hook for people?
Some items to consider and would help me answer are:
- Are you selling a product, such as a device they use for a procedure, service such as a scheduling service or a piece of technology such as an automated appoint reminder system?
- Can they bill insurance or the patient for what you sell them? This depends on what you are selling.
- Are they an independent practice, employed by a company such as Kaiser or members in a DCO (dental care organization) such as Delta Dental?
- What dental specialties are you aiming at (there are 10) or are you selling to general dentists?
- Are you targeting dental practices working with a specific population such as Medicaid or pediatrics.
- Are you willing to attend national conferences and set- up a booth?
-Can you give talks at conferences?
Happy to have a conversation with you on this, I help lead medical-dental integration efforts with a large health plan and have a deep understanding of how dental practices operate, obtain patients and bill for services.