ICT Regulatory & Policy Expert (Timor-Leste), International Telecom Union – July 2021-Present
As an expert I am responsible to:
• Study the Telecommunications Law and other relevant government decrees, issuances and regulatory frameworks;
• Undertake a study including: Assess current state of Timor-Leste’s ICT market and identifying issues that may prevent harnessing the full benefit of ICTs. Identify the current level of connectivity, Explore the connectivity gaps and challenges experienced and recommend potential vertical sector applications of ICT (eg. transport, energy, health) applicable for Timor-leste, including it’s the requirement of any new policy or regulatory intervention.
• Provide recommendations on updating regulatory frameworks and guidelines in order to facilitate the roll-out of Next Generation IMT-2020 Networks and beyond.
• Provide recommendations on the collaboration mechanism among private sectors, government and ANC.
• Review relevant ITU publications (including that of study groups), toolkits and guidelines to cross relate with the requirements in the current ICT market structure.
Partnership Manager, Study Campus, March 2020 – Present
I am responsible to develop the five years strategic plan of higher education and international student enrollments. I am assigned to figure out how various partnerships can complement one another and create the best student and fellow experience possible. I work with sales, marketing & product teams to determine how to prioritize go-to-market efforts. I develop pricing and other proposals; and handle complex partnership negotiations. I hold regular team meetings with student recruitment team to monitor targets and market developments; and I hold regular 1-1 meetings with Recruitment Partners, International Recruitment Managers, and other team leaders to ensure regular follow up and coaching. I am responsible for creating comprehensive technical sourcing and recruitment strategies, leveraging internal and external resources in order to hire the best talent in the market. I am building effective networks and relationships to maintain a strong pipeline of top talent for present and forecasted hires for the partners in North America.
ICT Expert, International Telecom Union (ITU) Nov 2020 – Feb 2021
Adjunct Lecturer & Research Fellow, Afghanistan University, Washington State University, Kabul University and American University of Afghanistan 2002-2020
Senior Policy Development Fellow, Afghanistan Information Services and Skills June 2019-November 2020
Chairman, Afghanistan Telecom Regulatory Authority (ATRA) 2015-2019
Director, Afghanistan Information Management Services (AIMS), 2012-2015
CEO & Program Manager, Infinity Shipping and Services – Afghanistan, 2008-2012
Consultant, Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation/ World Bank, June 2008 – November 10, 2008
Economic Advisor, Embassy of Afghanistan Tokyo, Japan, August 2005- March 2008
Consultant, Centre for International Private Enterprise, July-November 2007
Budget Consultant and Trainer, State University of New York/USAID Contract, January 9 -May 15, 2007
Contracts Consultant, Ministry of Education, Afghanistan, June 2006- Nov 2006
Financial Consultant, World Bank/ Ministry of Communications, Afghanistan, Feb.2004- Mar 2004
Director General Budget and Macroeconomist, Ministry of Finance, Afghanistan, Jan. 2003-Jan. 2004
International Assistance Coordinator, Ministry of Finance, Afghanistan and UNDP, Mar 2002- Jan 2003
Social Researcher, Danish Committee for Aid to Afghan Refugees (DACAAR),
Pakistan, Feb 2000- Feb 2002
Instructor, School of Economics, International Islamic University, Islamabad, Pakistan, 1997-1998
Project Manager, Afghan Refugees Assistance Program, Islamabad, Pakistan, Sep 1998- Jan 2000
Ph.D. Humanities and Economics, 2008 - Okayama University, Japan
M.Sc. Social Science and Economics, 2000, International Islamic University Islamabad, Pakistan
B.Sc. Economics (Honors), 1998, International Islamic University Islamabad, Pakistan
Democracy and Development Fellow, 2007 - Stanford University, Center on Democracy, Development and the Rule of Law, Institute for International Studies, USA
UNITAR/SHU International Economics and Finance Fellow, 2006 - Foreign Direct Investment for Development Financing Program, UNITAR and Stillman School of Business at Seton Hall University (SHU), USA. UNITAR Institute, Hiroshima, Japan
Marital status: Married (two daughters and two sons)
Languages: English; Dari; Pashto; Punjabi, Urdu; Arabic (basic); Japanese (Familiarity)