I work exclusively with founders and employees of startups and scale-ups across Canada, the U.S., Europe and Asia.
Regardless of whether you call it HR or People Ops, thinking strategically about people is critical to gaining traction and scaling. Think chess, not checkers.
Some common challenges I can you help you with:
• Co-founder issues: can't find the ideal one? too much miscommunication? constantly butting heads? You have to be in sync or else it's a waste of time, energy and money. Your roles also have to change and evolve as your business grows.
• Building a team: who’s the right fit? what roles do you need and when? how do you attract A players? If you’re hiring based solely on skills, or because someone’s likeable, that’s not a good sign.
• Building a resilient and scalable culture: forget free food and bringing your dog to work (although they’re both cool to have). Your culture runs much deeper than that. It’s your startup’s immune system.
• Managing employee performance, happiness and engagement: sure money helps, but you would be surprised how low it really ranks.
• Job satisfaction: feel a knot in your stomach on Sunday nights? it could be the day old sushi talking, but it’s more likely that work is the reason. Maybe it’s an ongoing conflict with someone, or feeling like you or your work aren’t appreciated anymore. Or maybe you’ve simply outgrown the place. Whatever the reason, your physical and mental health are probably suffering as a result. It’s not worth it.
Working at, or on, a startup should be an enjoyable and fulfilling experience. I can help you get you there.