My client has two hotels and a theme park in Tunisia and he wants to reinvigorate foreign tourists to come back. Obviously it's difficult after the attacks but it has been over a year and surely some markets like perhaps Russia and China will be tempted by great deals. Which channel springs to mind and how much of this is damage control in your opinion?
Hello! This is a great question! Very challenging and strategic. My name is Humberto Valle, I run www.unthink.me - a hybrid digital marketing team out of Texas. I think I know what brand you are speaking of. We have been helping SMBs for about 10 years across the globe. My focus is 100% Competitive Strategy.
With that said, I hope my feedback does bring you some clarity and perspective to the situation.
1. There needs to be a clear understanding on your behalf as far as what is marketing - because based on the situation, your "digital" strategy is actually more of a community marketing strategy and less of a marketing campaign - meaning you need to engage the communities around these locations in ways that allow you to create content that can then be used to promote through social media. I say social media because, again, you're dealing with communities.
2. You need a lot of P.R. - engaging certain key people from the most likely sources of visitors (what city/country/region does more of their guest come from before anything changed?) target celebrities, influencers, etc to share and engage with their properties or brands or content.
3. Publicity - You need some sort of public stunt - or multiple of them to get others to write about the parks and or the people involved.
If you run a circus and arrive in town, you may want to walk up the elephants to the Mayor's garden to step on the flowers and plants - this generates news coverage and articles - indirectly people find out that the circus is in town - this is publicity.
4. Meanwhile, this is happening or being planned you are heavily investing in social media such as Instagram, Facebook, and twitter - each of these platforms has its own strategy and may or may not be ok to duplicate content through out.
5. Ultimately your goal is to change people's perception of what happened, make them forget, or at minimum influence their value chain - so that they consider the likelihood of another attack versus having a great weekend retreat.
We have been part of and seen a big coalition like the one needed here for Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico.
This city was a major crime and cartel killings for many years, sparing no innocents and killing many young women as well. The corruption was at its worst in the nation, people from across the border in Texas stopped traveling causing major loss to the Mexican city. Families wouldn't visit each other, major restaurant chains literally picked up and left their city and opened across in the U.S. side abandoning everything they had. Now through consistent messaging and efforts - people are beginning to return and shop, visit, etc.
Find clever ways of leveraging resources, I wrote this article http://blog.unthink.me/the-best-kept-secret-of-the-rich - it may help bring more context to things.
Let me know if Unthink Marketing can be of any help :)