Karanchand Bhoopal (Known as Anil)
Senior Management Consultant
CISA; MBA (Dissertation Phase)
Anil has a CISA qualification, awaiting exemptions towards a ND Accounting certification and is currently completing a dissertation for an MBA.
He also holds numerous other business science certifications and, has many years of Corporate Business Administration, SCM, Project Management and/or General Management experience backed with Strategic, Performance and Risk Management that he has adopted from various Multi-National organisations (Tetra Pak SA, Kellogg SA, Geest SA, and Manitou SA) as well as from the National Treasury of South Africa (NT) and other State Owned Public Entities.
Anil developed most of his Private Sector skills from the 4 X Multi-National organisations listed above (i.e FMCG, Manufacturing, and others) and developed his Public Sector skills and experience during his tenure with NT from 2004–2010, where he partnered with various key authorities and/or stakeholders:
• Ministers of Finance (Ministers Trevor Manual and Pravin Gordhan),
• Directors-General (DGs Lesetja Kganyago and Lungisa Fuzile) ,
• The former Accountant General – Mr. Freeman Nomvalo,
• Deputy Directors Generals, their Chief Directors and other top management
• Other National, Provincial and Local Government Entities
• Board members and Board Committee members
• Auditor General, Audit Partners/Directors from all Big 4 Audit companies
• Outsourced/Co-sourced Internal Audit Partners
With all his experience and skills drawn from various high profile individuals, he was able to articulate such skills and mentored successful teams that he always managed and worked, well with.
FUNCTIONAL SKILLS AND AREAS OF IMPACT
• Leadership and management skills, accompanied by an assertive and results driven attitude,
• Accomplished strategic, performance and risk management with an excellent business acumen, interpersonal skills and customer-centricity,
• Brilliant track record of identifying problem areas of weakness and threats and converting them to strengths and opportunities,
• Excellent knowledge of business process re-engineering, process control and alignment thereof to best business practice and other applicable legislation, and
• Experienced in project management from the inception stages through to completion, including responsibility of driving change management initiatives
• Exceptional Financial Management skills coupled with the ability to align business strategy with finance and other sectors of the business,
• Corporate Governance – constant assessments on compliance to statutes, policies, procedures, prescripts, audits (eg: Internal, External , Performance and MACC Audits) – including Policy and Delegation reviews;
• Risk Management - Facilitation, co-ordination and implementation of a fully fledged ERM strategy
• Asset Management - Developed a fully functional integrated Fixed Asset register System and Strategy and fully capacitated a new Asset Management unit within the CFO’s office.
• Project Management – facilitated, managed and monitored progress on various projects from initiation to close-out.
• Training & Development and Change management - facilitation and co-ordination;
• People management – working cross functionally to maintain a good working relationship with all key stakeholders – internally and externally
• Development of annual performance plans, strategic plans and operational plans;
• Development, review, implementation and the reporting of Policies, Frameworks, Fraud Prevention Plans, Disaster Recovery/emergency management and business continuity plans, and other key management tools;
• Exposure to the SAP and BAS System, PFMA , MFMA, King III and other key statutes;
• Serving on Board Committees – ie. Audit and Risk management and other committees;
• Internal Audits – Transformed an out-sourced internal audit function into a co-sourced and fully capacitated Internal Audit division for NT.
After leaving National Treasury (NT), Anil was head hunted to various other contract assignments and one of which, as Senior Management Consultant for Deloitte Consulting. During this period he undertook various assignments, which provided strategic, financial and business solutions to National, Provincial and Local Government.
He left ORCA Services (ie. That forms part of PKF Chartered Accountants group that merged with Grant Thornton) where he served on various Internal and Forensic Audit assignments, including Risk Assessments, Strategic Planning and Business Re-engineering. He has made great strides since early 2013, recommending major changes to various levels of audit findings that resulted in achieving “unqualified Audits without an emphasis of matter”.
Anil is currently a Senior Business Management Consultant for New Africa Consulting and Open Waters - being seconded as Project Champion in various roles with firm emphasis on "Back-to-basics" and other key Corporate Governance and Internal Control initiatives - striving towards clean audit achievements.
Anil’s vast and diverse experience, skills and competencies over the years have equipped him to provide an advisory and consultative role, to assist clients with the great value-adds that they can benefit from, on various types of cross-functional projects across any organisation or industry sectors.
Seconded as Project Champion to Metsemaholo Municipality in Sasolburg and Maluti A-Phofung in QwaQwa as part of the Municipal Support Programme to re-engineer the Financial and Supply Chain management (SCM) divisions and all related/relevant cross-functional areas (New Africa Consulting)
Seconded as Project Champion to City Power in Gauteng Province to re-engineer the Revenue management division and its related sub-divisions impacting on Revenue and Financial areas (New Africa Consulting)
Developed, revised and implemented policies and standard operating procedures and developed control measures to bring about clean audits and overcome all significant risks of the key business areas of the organizations (Alexkor RMC JV)
Found various areas of weaknesses, assessed control measures and made constructive recommendations as a Management Consultant carrying out a Business Re-engineering initiatives in all key business areas – namely Finance, Risk Management, Strategic Management, Corporate Governance, Policies, Procedures and Internal Controls. (Alexkor RMC JV)
Found various areas of weaknesses, investigated fraud and corruption, assessed control measures and made constructive recommendations to the various organizations that were serviced - PKF (ORCA Services)
Developed a fully functional automated Customer Profitability model for pricing, negotiation and progress tracking (Profitability) purposes – Nampak
Investigated, found flaws and Updated the database of the corrupt Business Intelligence tool ie. Micro-strategy that was used for all Sales, marketing and financial purposes – Nampak
Investigated, found flaws and initiated control strategies and mechanisms for the +R40 million spend that Nampak commits to with all Major-chain store groups annually – Nampak.
Implementation of the business re-engineering of Pikitup Waste Management Project - Deloitte Consulting (Client: Pikitup)
Development and implementation of a Financial Model to track high cost drivers and potential savings - Deloitte Consulting (Client: Pikitup)
Facilitation and development of a change management strategy - Deloitte Consulting (Client: Pikitup)
Co-ordination and implementation of SAP Reporting - Manitou S.A.
Attended 2 X IFRS training sessions for overseas SAP reporting in Nantes, France - Manitou S.A.
Achievement of “Unqualified audits” without emphasis of matter - NT
Development of Policies, procedures and guidelines - NT
Successfully addressed all audit queries. Transformed the "culture" by getting all key stakeholders to partner with Internal and External Audit teams - NT
Developed various platforms to initiate understanding of financial management concepts, controls and deliverables for non-financial personnel within the organisation - NT
Translated high level Corporate Services strategies (ie. of Finance, HR, IT, SCM, Security, Facilities Management, Internal Audits and Risk Management) into measurable corporate service and financial requirements and deliverables - NT
Development of an Asset Management Strategy and the Formation and implementation of a fully capacitated Asset Management unit - NT
Development of a Risk Management Strategy and the Formation and implementation of a fully capacitated Enterprise Risk Management unit - NT
Development of a Public Entities Oversight Strategy and the Formation and implementation of a fully capacitated Public Entities Oversight unit - NT
Formation and implementation of a fully capacitated Internal Audit unit - NT
Successful implementation of a change management culture (strategic and operational plans, values and alignment to performance agreements) - NT
Successful development and implementation of a Reporting Strategy incorporating the Balance Score card approach for strategic planning, operational planning, management reporting and performance management - NT
Successful implementation of a Risk management culture - including a Fraud prevention plan, a fraud and corruption case-management strategy, a ERM Strategy, Framework and Policy - NT.
Successful implementation of Emergency Management, Disaster Recovery Plan and Business Continuity Plan - NT.
Coordination, Facilitation and implementation of a Business re-engineering process (ie. With Accenture) and implementation of a Management by Project approach - NT.
Management and facilitation of the Risk Management and Audit Committees - NT
Implementation of ISO 9001 policies, procedures and practices and served as an internal auditor – Tetra Pak SA.
Project leader for the Oracle Sales Analyzer database system - Kellogg SA
Recovery of doubtful and bad debts - + R8 Million – Tetra Pak SA.
Recovery of doubtful and bad debts - + R12 Million - Kelloggs S.A.
PERIOD ORGANISATION POSITION
Aug 2014 to Current New Africa Consulting/Open Waters Senior Management Consultant
Mar 2014 to July 2014 Alexkor RMC JV Senior Management Consultant
Feb 2013 to Feb 2014 Grant Thornton (ORCA Services) Management Consultant
July 2012 to Dec 2012 Nampak Tissues Senior Management Consultant
June 2011 to June 2012 Deloitte Consulting Senior Management Consultant
Jan 2011 to May 2011 Manitou S. A. (Pty) Ltd Financial Manager
April 2004 – Dec 2010 National Treasury (Pretoria) Strategic, Perf and Risk Manager
Aug 2003 – Mar 2004 Geest S. A. (T/A: Bakavor) Assistant FM
Jan 2001 – July 2003 Landmarine Logistic Branch Manager – Finance & Admin
Dec 1999 – Dec 2000 Explorer Corp Holdings (Pty) Ltd Group Accountant
June 1995 – Nov 1999 Kellogg S. A. Business Intelligence Support Analyst
May 1982 – May 1995 Tetra Pak S. A. Accounts Supervisor