A quick background about my situation. I’ve always run my own business until last year.
I’ve had some business success in the past having sold my first business at 24. I have produced millions in revenue and am doing my own property development project. I’ve also had my fair share of failures. I’m 26 now.. I have a broad range of skills in business, marketing, property development and design. I now work for a big time property developer who has billions of dollars worth of projects per year..
My questions are;
– do you think it is worth working for someone to learn? If so for how long? I was originally under the CEO who has 250+ staff, now he is busy so it’s hard to learn from him other than when I’m in meetings and he is present.
– Is it best to just go out and run your own businesses?
– What would you do? What would you look for?
– is there anything wrong with having your fingers dipped in many pies or is it best to laser focus on one specific business or industry
There is definitely a correlation of learning then earning so would love any advice or tips on this. Not sure who else to ask.
Thanks for your time, I really do appreciate it.
There is SO much here to unpack ......
First, congratulations on your past successes. That has certainly shaped you and made you who you are.
There are benefits to working for someone to learn, but if they simply see you as an employee - a replaceable widget maker - then it is time to move on. I think it only makes sense for you if the CEO or other executive is willing to mentor you in a formal agreement. I don't think waiting around to hopefully learn something is the best use of your time, and your employer may fault you for not doing your job (because you're looking to learn, first, do your "tasks" second).
In short, formalize your expectations with your employer. If it is a good fit for you both, stick around. If you don't feel like you're learning or meeting your objective, move on to something that fills that need.
Finally, read these books:
- "The CEO Next Door" http://amzn.to/2G2d2re
- "Built for Growth: How Builder Personality Shapes Your Business, Your Team, and Your Ability to Win" http://amzn.to/2FnzZV2
All the best,
Everyone's journey is different. You sound a bit like me 35+ years ago. I have always been hungry to learn something new which has drawn me into a new adventure every day. It's been a very zen-like journey for me, in the moment, keeping a beginner's mind and "no mind"...and being happy doing so.
I'd love to chat, share, and help you stay on your learning path. I love mentoring and coaching entrepreneurs from the next generation. (Yes, I'm a Baby Boomer.) Please set-up a call if you'd like a quick dose of coaching.